Roseto degli Abruzzi
Roseto degli Abruzzi, also known with the tourist appellation "Rose Beach", is one of the many cities that lies along the Adriatic Coast. It is the daughter of Montepagano, ancient village that is overhung by a mild hill.
Main centre of the valley of the River Vomano, situated in front of Italy's massive Gran Sasso, before obtaining the name it has today, it was called "Le Quote", from 22 May 1860 to 22 May 1887 and "Rosburgo" from 22 may 1887 to 20 February 1927. The territory had already been inhabited in the Roman Epoch; in fact some of the localities of the territory are mentioned in numerous documents dating back to the medieval period. Today Roseto degli Abruzzi is the main coastal centre in the Province of Teramo and one of its most popular sea resorts along the coastline of Abruzzi. It is an open and solid city, with a strong, tourist vocation. Situated in the centre of Italy, Roseto is in fact easy to arrive to thanks to good road and railway connections, and its nearness to the airports in Rome, Pescara and Ancona.
Its rich nature and its climate, mild and gentle, as its inhabitants, make Roseto degli Abruzzi the ideal place for a calm holiday, in contact with the perfume of the sea and the hills and the taste of the exquisite oenology and gastronomy of Teramo Abruzzi. It is perfect for a relaxing holiday, opened to culture, art and nature.
Civitella del Tronto
The fortress, the canyon, and the monastery Situated in the northernmost part of Abruzzo. close to the River Tronto which used to mark the border between the Kingdom of Naples and The Pontifical State, Civitella and its surrounding area present an itinerary of particular interest.
Built on a steep hillside, the Fortress of Civitella is an excellent vantage-point to admire the Mountain of Campli and the Mountain of the Flowers. Its history is linked with the siege of 1860-61, which culminated in the capitulation of the Bourbonic garrison, and it was fortified, besieged and conquered several times.
The structure of the Fortress is essentially that planned by the Spanish viceroys of Naples in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The episodes of bloodshed that it has witnessed began with the siege of the Troops of Ascoli Piceno (1255), and continued with the sack of the fortress by the French under Odetto di Fois (1528) and the siege of the Duke of Guisa (5571). In I624, a thunderbolt was responsible for the explosion of the powder magazine, while in 1732, the Austrians took the place of the Spanish, only to be driven.
Isola del Gran Sasso
From the sea to the mountains, through history.
Roseto degli Abruzzi is in the centre of a tourist system that brings tourists from the sea to the mountains. Who ever wants a dynamic holiday can leave Roseto to discover the beauties of Abruzzi and some places of particular beauty in the nearby regions. In the territory of Roseto there is the medieval village of Montepagano, while at about 13 kilometres going up Valle del Vomano, one can visit the churches Santa Maria di Propezzano, XII century and San Clemente al Vomano, XI century.
Continuing along the road one can visit the medieval Tower of triangular design in Montegualtieri, in the municipality of Cermignano. The ducal city of Atri and the treasures it hold are 20 kilometres far from Roseto, where as to visit the province's chief-town, Teramo, one must travel 30 kilometres, to go for a breath taking walk along the communication trench of the fort of Civitella you must travel 50 kilometres. Along with the artistic patrimony, excursions to the Gran Sasso of Italy can be organised. Gran Sasso of Italy is a peak of the Apennines 2.914 metres high at a distance of 45 kilometres, where it is possible to visit the Gran Sasso National Park, Monti della Laga and Castelli, birthplace of precious ceramics and then to the Sanctuary of St. Gabriele.
Lake Campotosto is the largest lake in Abruzzo. Tourists usually view it from the peaks of the Laga District and the Gran Sasso, and in summer the lake is a rendez-vous for hobbies like canoeing, windsurfing and picnicking in the open air. Its height of 1,313 metres above sea level guarantees a refreshing temperature even at the height of summer. Once taken up by marshlands and peat-bogs, the basin of Campotosto was transformed into a lake during the 30's and 40's in order to supply the electric power stations of the Vomano Valley. The lake extends for 1,400 hectares, and together with its 200 hectares of beaches, has been under the protection of the National Nature Reserve since 1984. The creation of the lake has deprived the people in the area of their traditional resources: peat-bogs and brick factories. Nowadays, however, the arrival of visitors attracted by the water, the refreshing temperature, and the naturalistic interest of the area makes up for what was lost fifty years ago. There are several attractions in the area: in winter, the icy surface of the lake offers an unusual spectacle. The views of the Gran Sasso chain, Mount Terminillo and the Laga chain are always outstanding. In June, a Dog Show featuring Abruzzo sheepdogs is held at Campotosto. The cooking of the whole area is renowned. For tourists, Lake Campotosto is the starting-point of itineraries visiting Monte di Mezzo and the Laghetta Peaks. The road that runs around the lake is excellent for cycling, and in winter - in the stretches that are not swept by snowstorms - it offers short langlauf ski runs. From autumn to spring, the basin is an excellent site for bird-watching: the area is often chosen as a haven by moorhens, coots, mallards and dippers.